Archives May 2022

Chris Rock Reveals He Won’t Speak on Will Smith’s Slap Until Netflix Special Drops

Chris Rock has continued with his ‘Ego Death’ tour following being slapped by Will Smith at the 2022 Academy Awards. During a stop he made at the Royal Albert Hall in the U.K., Rock briefly addressed when he would talk about the Will Smith slap. 

“People expect me to talk about the bulls**t,” said Rock. He continued saying, “I’m not going to talk about it right now. I’ll get to it eventually, on Netflix.” The comedian went on to say, “I’m still kind of processing what happened. So, at some point, I’ll talk about that shit. And it will be serious and funny.”

Previously, Rock said he wouldn’t speak on the incident unless a paycheck were attached to his story. In another show he did in April 2022, Rock said, “I’m OK, I have a whole show, and I’m not talking about that until I get paid. Life is good. I got my hearing back.”

source: Times.co.uk

Chris Rock Sides with Johnny Depp: ‘Believe All Women, Except Amber Heard’

Chris Rock ruffled some feathers after he reportedly speaking on the Johnny Depp and Amber Heard defamation case during a recent stand-up stop. 

“Believe all women, believe all women,” he reportedly said. “Except Amber Heard What the f*ck is she on? She sh*t in his bed!” This in direct reference to Heard allegedly admitting to defacating on her and Depp’s bed, in what a security guard for the former couple called a “practical joke.” 

“She’s fine but she’s not sh*t fine. She sh*t in his bed. What the f*ck is going on there? Wow,” Rock continued. “And they had a relationship after that. It must be amazing p*ssy… I’ve been with some crazy b*tches but goddamn.”

Source: hollywoodlife.com

Wanda Sykes Says She’s “Still Traumatized” By Will Smith Slap: “F**k Him”

Wanda Sykes was one of the many hosts of the 2022 Academy Awards and was a witness to the infamous slapping incident involving Will Smith and Oscars host Chris Rock. Since then, Sykes has commented on the slap, saying she’s still processing the situation. 

This past Thursday, Sykes was candid about the incident during a comedy tour stop in Orlando, Florida, at the Dr. Phillips Center for Performing Arts. “I’m still traumatized. I can’t talk about it. I get emotional,” said Sykes. She continued saying, “I couldn’t believe he was still sitting there, like an a**hole. Shouldn’t you be sitting there with a lawyer or LAPD, motherf**ker?” Sykes concluded by saying, “I hope he gets his s**t together. Until then, f**k him.” Stay tuned for more updates. 

source: People

Abortion rights backers rally in anger over post-Roe future

Supporters of abortion rights took to the streets across America on Saturday to make clear their anger at the prospect that the Supreme Court will soon strike down the constitutional right to abortion. Cries of “My body, my choice” rang out as activists committed to fighting for the legal protection that has endured for nearly a half-century.

Incensed by a leaked draft opinion suggested the conservative majority on the court would vote to overturn the landmark Roe v. Wade ruling, activists rallied to express their outrage and mobilize for the future as Republican-led states are poised to enact tighter restrictions.

In the nation’s capital, thousands gathered in drizzly weather at the Washington Monument to listen to fiery speeches before marching to the Supreme Court, which is now surrounded by two layers of security fences.

The mood was one of anger and defiance.

“I can’t believe that at my age, I’m still having to protest over this,” said Samantha Rivers, a 64-year-old federal government employee who is preparing for a state-by-state battle over abortion rights.

Caitlin Loehr, 34, of Washington, wore a black T-shirt with an image of the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s “dissent” collar on it and a necklace that spelled out “vote.”

“I think that women should have the right to choose what to do with their bodies and their lives. And I don’t think banning abortion will stop abortion. It just makes it unsafe and can cost a woman her life,” Loehr said.

A half-dozen anti-abortion demonstrators sent out a countering message, with Jonathan Darnel shouting into a microphone, “Abortion is not health care, folks, because pregnancy is not an illness.”

From Pittsburgh to Pasadena, California, and Nashville, Tennessee, to Lubbock, Texas, tens of thousands participated in “Bans off our Bodies” events. Organizers expected that among the hundreds of events, the largest would take place in Chicago, New York, Los Angeles and other big cities.

“If it’s a fight they want, it’s a fight they’ll get,” Rachel Carmona, executive director of the Women’s March, said before the march.

Source: AP News

Jan. 6 panel issues subpoenas to five GOP lawmakers

The House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol issued subpoenas to five Republican members of Congress on Thursday as the panel prepares for a slate of public hearings next month.

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) and Reps. Scott Perry (R-Pa.), Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) and Mo Brooks (R-Ala.) received subpoenas.

Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.), the chairman of the Jan. 6 panel, said the committee decided to issue subpoenas after the GOP lawmakers refused the opportunity to speak with the lawmakers voluntarily.

“The Select Committee has learned that several of our colleagues have information relevant to our investigation into the attack on January 6th and the events leading up to it. Before we hold our hearings next month, we wished to provide members the opportunity to discuss these matters with the committee voluntarily. Regrettably, the individuals receiving subpoenas today have refused and we’re forced to take this step to help ensure the committee uncovers facts concerning January 6th,” Thompson said in a statement.

“We urge our colleagues to comply with the law, do their patriotic duty, and cooperate with our investigation as hundreds of other witnesses have done,” he added.

Developing.

Mayor Scott Announces the Launch of the B’More Summer Information Hub

BALTIMORE, MD (Thursday, May 12, 2022) —Today, Mayor Brandon M. Scott joined Baltimore City Schools CEO Dr. Sonja Santelises, local officials, nonprofit, and philanthropic partners to announce the launch of the B’More Summer Information Hub, which can be found at: www.bmorechildren.com/bmoresummer

The Hub, centralizes and catalogs thousands of summer programs, events and opportunities for young people and their families, ranging from camps at Baltimore City Recreation and Parks and Enoch Pratt free Library to camps run by nonprofit providers, to more than 22,000 summer learning slots at Baltimore City Schools.

“Our young people deserve access to safe, affordable, and engaging opportunities during the summer months,” said Mayor Brandon M. Scott. “From starting their first job and learning new life skills through programs like Youthworks to building new friendships at one of the thousands of summer camps in the City, summer is a time of exploration, growth, and new and exciting adventures for Baltimore’s young people. It is also a challenging time for many of our youth and families struggling with food insecurity and lack of opportunity. We are connecting young people and families to incredible summer opportunities and expanding efforts like Summer SNAP to provide meals to thousands of young people.”

This summer, the city and key strategic partners will provide:

  • Nearly 3,000 summer camp slots managed by Baltimore City Recreation and Parks;
  • More than 6,500 summer jobs for youth ages 14-21 through Youthworks;
  • Baltimore City Schools will offer more than two dozen district-wide summer program options, including two virtual programs;
  • 53 Baltimore City Schools will be hosting summer programs with more than 22,000 seats available;
  • 9,110 slots, funded through a $5.3M investment by the Summer Funding Collaborative to support 93 high quality summer programs for children and youth living in low-income families throughout the city, including a $2M investment by the Baltimore Children and Youth Fund in programs for older youth, 14-21 years of age;
  • The B&O Railroad Museum is hosting 2 free camps that include aftercare; The Reading on the Rails Camp will serve 60 children for two weeks for children in grades 1-6 and a sensory friendly camp to serve 15 neurodiverse children for one week for grades 1-6;
  • Expansion of the city’s summer SNAP program to provide meals to thousands of young people.

“BCYF is honored to make an investment in older youth who are often overlooked and lack access to out-of-school time enrichment,” said Alysia Lee, President of the Baltimore Children & Youth Fund. “These young people are close to or in the beginning phases of adult-hood and they need to know they still have the support of their city and its institutions.”

In addition to the launch of the B’More Summer Information Hub, the Mayor announced the kick-off of B’More Lit, a new summer event series launched in partnership with DTLR. The series will start on May 28th and will feature a DJ, live performances by local artists, free food, vendors and more for teens. The B’More Lit series will be held in locations throughout the city.

The Mayor’s Office of Children and Family Success and Baltimore’s Promise led a summer steering committee that included key partners like, the Enoch Pratt Free Library, Baltimore City Public Schools, Baltimore City Recreation and Parks, the Mayor’s Office of Employment Development, the Mayor’s Office of Neighborhood Safety and Engagement, the Summer Funding Collaborative, the Department of Social Services and others. The group compiled data on available summer opportunities and centralized the data for families to access through the B’More Summer Information Hub. The steering committee analyzed the data and determined the need for additional summer slots and activities for older youth and expansion of neighborhood-based opportunities. 

“Prioritizing Youth” is a cornerstone of the Scott Administration’s action plan and larger strategy for a safer, accountable, and more equitable Baltimore. This collective effort ensures that quality, engaging educational and recreational summer programming is accessible to all children and families in Baltimore City.

Judge lifts Trump contempt ruling, imposes $110,000 fine

A judge on Wednesday released former President Trump from being held in contempt on the condition that he pay a $110,000 fine to the New York attorney general’s office for failing to comply with a subpoena for his business records.

During a hearing, New York Supreme Court Judge Arthur Engoron said that halting his contempt ruling would also be contingent on Trump’s lawyers submitting more information to the court about their efforts to comply with his order earlier this year that the former president comply with the subpoena, according to the attorney general’s office.

The judge gave Trump until May 20 to comply with the conditions.

Engoron last month found Trump in contempt for failing to turn over requested documents and ordered him to pay $10,000 a day until he complied.

Slutty Vegan Raises $25M, Brand Now Valued at $100M

Established in 2018, Slutty Vegan, came out the gate taking the food industry by storm. Reportedly, the Atlanta-based vegan burger chain’s revenue grew to $4 million within the first six months of its grand opening. Since then, Slutty Vegan has grown into a restaurant empire with four brick-and-mortar locations across Atlanta, and openings scheduled for Birmingham, Baltimore, and New York.
According to a “CNBC Make It” estimate, Slutty Vegan made between $10 million and $14 million in 2021 revenue.
Now, with help from a $25 million series A investment round, led by entrepreneur Richelieu Dennis’ New Voices Fund and restaurateur Danny Meyer’s Enlightened Hospitality Investments, Cole plans to open 10 additional locations by the end of this year and 10 more locations in 2023.
Since then, Slutty Vegan has grown into a restaurant empire with four brick-and-mortar locations across Atlanta, and openings scheduled for Birmingham, Baltimore, and New York.
Not bad for a 4-year-old business that started out taking orders over Instagram.

Source: shoppeblack.us

Kentucky Derby: 80-1 long shot Rich Strike wins astounding upset victory

Friday morning, Rich Strike wasn’t entered in the Kentucky Derby. Saturday evening, the 80-1 long shot was a Derby champion.

The 148th Kentucky Derby went off under gray skies on a track that wasn’t nearly as soaked as conditions had forecast, and for almost all of the race the favorites ran as predicted. But in the final few paces, jockey Sonny Leon cut Rich Strike to the inside to beat two favorites, Zandon and Epicenter, to win the race. Rich Strike, entered only when Ethereal Road scratched out Friday morning, is one of the longest-odds horses ever to win the race. Epicenter placed second, and Zandon finished third.

Rich Strike was in 17th position into the final turn, and began accelerating through the pack, moving to the inside as the race entered the front stretch. As Zandon and Epicenter battled for the lead, Rich Strike streaked along the rail to claim victory. The horses raced out to the fastest quarter mile in the race’s 148-year history, and that quick start may have contributed to the last-second fade of the leaders.

Rick Dawson, owner of Rich Strike, found out his horse would be running in the Derby about 30 seconds before the Friday morning entry deadline. Ethereal Road’s scratch opened the door for Rich Strike, whose owner and trainer had already made plans to begin training this weekend in New York for the Belmont Stakes. It’s safe to say those plans have changed.

“We always felt if we could just get in, we’d have a shot,” Dawson said. “We proved it today.” Rich Strike collected a purse payout of $1.86 million for the victory.

Rich Strike’s victory was the greatest odds upset since 1913, when 91-1 long shot Donerail claimed victory. Whether unaccustomed to victory or charged up from the atmosphere, Rich Strike began nipping at the escort pony after the race, adding even more chaos to a scene already rampant with madness.

Source: Yahoo News

BIG TRUCK DAY Still Equals BIG FUN for the Family!

This year’s BIG TRUCK DAY is a special one! The Baltimore City Department of Public Works (DPW) is partnering with the Public Works Experience to make Big Truck Day a part of a multi-regional celebration to honor Public Works Week! On Saturday, May 21, 2022, from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Baltimore City’s BIG TRUCKS will be downtown to join this Public Works Experience celebration!

Look for this celebration on the promenade at Eastern Avenue, near Harbor East! BIG TRUCK DAY is an immensely popular free community event that features vehicles from DPW and the Departments of General Services, Recreation and Parks, and Fire. The Baltimore City Sheriff’s Department will be there too.

In addition to enjoying the BIG TRUCKS, visitors can tour DPW’s Eastern Avenue Pumping Station and learn more about the Public Works Experience, formerly known as the Baltimore Public Works Museum. Plus, there will be educational activities for all ages and food trucks! Time/Location: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.; Public Works Experience, 751 Eastern Ave., Baltimore, Md., 21202 Downtown Baltimore on the Promenade at Eastern Avenue, Harbor East.

Want more information on the Baltimore City Department of Public Works (DPW)? Click these links to view the 2022 DPW Calendar, the 2019-2020 Bi-Annual Report, or DPW’s most recent Water Quality Report.